Limited Guest Access ... Welcome to the Vivarium Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST, which gives You very limited access and no posting privileges. Register and gain full access to everything on the site. Vivarium Forum membership is completely free with no tricks or gimmicks. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Vivarium Forums > TERRARIUM > Terrarium > Terra-Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Vive Newbie

barknet842 is on a distinguished road
Default Carnivorous plants to kill small flies?

I have noticed small flies in my viv after 2 months. Will a small Pitcher or Sundew plant kill these off or limit their proliferation? I would like to try a plant before bringing out the dry-ice method.

If so... are there any sites besides Black Jungle that I can get these from? I will need a fairly small one and cannot find them locally (Los Angeles). Found a site for Pygmy Sundew but they want a $200 minimum order.

I think over spraying and no ventilation lead to their appearance so quickly. I have only just switched to 3-4 times a week (over daily) misting and have also increased the amount of ventilation at the top of the enclosure (no fan though).

Last edited by barknet842; 12-22-2009 at 02:46 AM..
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Addicted

Grimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond reputeGrimm has a reputation beyond repute

Pitchers wont do anything....But a nice big sundew will "Dew" the trick...Haha see what I did just there, Dew....This crowd sucks!

Anyways yes, I has this problem in my old Pitcher plants Terrarium and then added a larger sundew...It was covered with tiny black flies after a day or two. Try and get a sundew with broad/long leaves to maximize sticky area. I cant recal the type that I had but it had green leaves that were very broad and long.

Last edited by Grimm; 12-22-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Eager to Help

HewesHort has a spectacular aura aboutHewesHort has a spectacular aura aboutHewesHort has a spectacular aura aboutHewesHort has a spectacular aura aboutHewesHort has a spectacular aura about

if you have enough light, a Drosera capensis would be best. but i have always been concerned the dew is harmful to frog skin. what kind of animal do you have? i have never kept them with animals, but pacific tree frogs live among my drosera outside during the summer, they dont seem to mind.

you might also consider Pinguicula moranensis. they can be grown in small pots in the BG. whatever you choose, if you mist your tank frequently it will wash off or dilute the sap.

oh yeah! i did have a d. capensis in my fbt tank for a few months, but it started to die from lack of light. it was at a high spot in the tank that the toads couldn't get to easily.
1.0.0 cat
Way too many plants (150 species at last count)

Plant Photos Wanted, Pls post them here

Last edited by HewesHort; 12-22-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Unread 12-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Vive Newbie

Glad to hear Sundew should get those flies. ThinK I'm going to get a Drosera spatulata and hopefully it's on the small side. Do anyone know the diameter range for these plants? Thinking the small side only 4-5" diameter....

Have an Ornate Horned from in a 10 gal. and floor space is getting tight (and do not want remove the brom). The frog does not move much so he would rarely touch the plant, but is capable of completely bulldozing most plants over. Definitely need to know it will not harm the frog.
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Obsessed

Epiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond reputeEpiphile has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second P. moranensis. They could probably take a bit more punishment from pets than Drosera and can make do with less light. Not to mention that the flowers are pretty...
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Vive Newbie

Great. I ordered a couple d. spatulata and one d. capensis. The grower stated he would pick out the smallest specimens for me so all should be good.

predatoryplants.com appears to be a great sight for ordering carnivorous plants- I'll know for sure when I get them. Staff helpful and good prices. Check it out.
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Eager to Learn

phoenixflames44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
pitchers wont do anything....but a nice big sundew will "dew" the trick...haha see what i did just there, dew....this crowd sucks!
ha!!111!!!